Heather Hicks

I teach and do research in the areas of post-1945 American and global Anglophone fiction, apocalyptic literature, feminist fiction and theory, postmodern theory, science fiction, and contemporary film. I’ve recently taught courses on literary theory, apocalyptic literature, and climate fiction.

In my scholarship, I’m interested in literature about various forms of contemporary crisis. Most recently, I published a book chapter considering the ways very recent apocalyptic novels center the experience of human vulnerability in terms that chime with Judith Butler’s work on this topic and make reference to 9/11 to do so.  Another of my recent essays concerns affective responses to extinction in literary trilogies by William Gibson, Kim Stanley Robinson, Margaret Atwood, and N.K. Jemisin.  And a third recent article focuses on the recurrent figure of the femme fatale in contemporary apocalyptic narrative. My most recent book, The Post-Apocalyptic Novel in the Twenty-First Century: Modernity Beyond Salvage (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016), analyzes how major novelists since 2000 have imagined the fate of modernity in the wake of global catastrophe. My first book, The Culture of Soft Work: Labor, Gender, and Race in Postmodern American Narrative (Palgrave Macmillan, 2008), examined the ways that a wide range of cultural texts from comic strips to films to major novels responded to the changing nature of the American workplace (and American workers) after World War Two.



Comments