Sunday, October 21, 2012

Lisa Sewell

My focus is on contemporary poetry and poetics, both as a scholar and practitioner. In the graduate program, I teach courses on 20th century poetry movements, contemporary poetry, contemporary women poets, critical theory, and feminist theory. At the undergraduate level, I regularly teach poetry writing and introduction to creative writing. I have published critical essays on a number of contemporary poets including Louise Gl├╝ck, Brenda Hillman, and Frank Bidart, and I recently contributed chapters to The Cambridge Companion to Post-1945 American Poetry, A Companion to Poetic Genre, and the Dictionary of Literary Biography. I am co-editor, with Claudia Rankine, of two essay collections that focus on 21st century North American poets and we are currently at work on a third. My most recent critical interests center on the work of contemporary poet Martha Ronk in the context of ecopoetics – an area I am just starting to explore.

I have also published two full-length collections and a chapbook of poetry, which won the Keystone Award. My poems have appeared in journals such as the Colorado Review, Denver Quarterly, Ploughshares, Paris Review and most recently, Harvard Review and Drunken Boat (an on-line journal). I have also received grants and awards for my work, including a Leeway Foundation grant and a fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. I just completed the manuscript for my third book of poems and hope to begin work on two more projects in the coming months: a collection of poems about endangered species and a mixed-genre memoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment